BA (HONS) FASHION
MQA (PA 11179) | KPT (N/214/6/0207)
In collaboration with Coventry University, United Kingdom
Intakes: May, October
Duration: 3 years, Full-time
• 2 STPM / 2 ‘A’ Levels Passes with a minimum CGPA 2.00 (Grade C); or
• Senior Middle 3 (UEC) with a minimum grade B in 5 subjects (including English); or
• Matriculation Program / Foundation in Design / Foundation in Art & Design with minimum CGPA 2.00; or
• International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with a minimum of 24 points; or
• Canadian Pre-University (CPU) with average scores of 55%; or
• South Australian Matriculation (SAM) or equivalent to Tertiary Entrance Rank (TER) of 60%;
• Other equivalent qualifications that recognized by Malaysia Government; and
• Diploma in Art and Design or any other equivalent and relevant Diploma recognized by Malaysia Government with minimum CGPA 2.00.
Pass Portfolio Review or Art Test conducted by the College for the candidate who does not have a pass in Art Subject.
IELTS 6.0; or
Credit in SPM English 1119; or
Credit in O-Level English / IGCSE
Valued at a staggering $3 trillion and accounting for 2% of the world’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP), the global fashion industry represents one of the most dynamic and challenging industries around, employing over 57 million people in textiles and clothing alone.
If you have a passion for fashion, dream of seeing your designs on the international catwalks or fancy yourself as the next top fashion design icon, the BA (Hons) Fashion – ranked as the 9th best in the country by the Guardian University Guide 2019 – will nurture your individual creativity and help you realise your dreams.
The BA (Hons) Fashion is an exciting practice based course that encourages the application of skills, the investigation of theory and the opportunity for critical reflection. It is a broad based course with opportunities for students to explore a wide range of intentions within the area of Fashion in addition to event management, visual merchandising, digital fashion, jewellery and accessory design. Over recent years the accessories market has exploded globally, from couture and designer’s right down to the high street market, and the fashion industry has seen the potential to build sales by adding accessories to the mix.
Fast paced and dynamic, this course seeks to develop your individual creativity and fashion design judgment, encouraging an active approach to learning through the ongoing production of innovative fashion artefacts.
The first year provides a broad-based programme of study, covering a wide range of subjects, practical and theoretical, necessary for a comprehensive understanding of the fashion industry. This includes: fashion forecasting, design, pattern cutting, traditional manufacturing, high tech production methods, illustration, styling, photography, marketing and CAD (computer aided design). Using both traditional and leading-edge technology, you will work on projects to produce fashion products, including garments, accessories and packaging.
- Fashion Design and Technology
- Fashion Culture and Creativity
- Digital Fashion Marketing
- Fashion Design and Innovation
- Into Fashion: Personal Development Planning
- Academic Essay Writing
During your second year, subjects covered include PR, styling, brand management, CAD, creative marketing, entrepreneurship, team working, promotional, consumer and designer trends, sustainability, eco design, product design, development and production, digital printing, critical reflection and analysis, new media marketing and communications.
The practical focus of the course continues with a variety of real-life projects – you will design products and prints, produce website content for fashion companies, undertake photo-shoots and manufacture products for sale. Bringing all your learning together, you will produce a catwalk collection, styling and accessories – with students exhibiting ‘live’ at the event.
- Fashion Enterprise and Experience
- International Fashion Project
- Marketing Digital Futures
- Future Fashion: Personal Development Planning
- Global Sustainability and Innovation
You have the opportunity to undertake a final major project, which has seen past students travel to international destinations to undertake research which has then inspired their catwalk collections, and final exhibitions.
You will be expected to develop your own programme of research and study visits to support your learning, culminating in a showcase of your individual talents in a professional arena, such as the Coventry Degree Show.
- Future Fashion Concepts
- Future Proof Fashion: Personal Development Planning
- How to set up Free-lance Business
- Fashion Design Directions
- U1: Tamadun Islam dan Tamadun Asia (TITAS) / Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2
- U1: Hubungan Etnik / Pengajian Malaysia 3
- U2: Critical Thinking
- U3: Malaysian Constitution
- U4: Community Service
ABOUT COVENTRY UNIVERSITY
1st for Overseas Student Experiences
based on student trips abroad
– HESA 2015/16 UK, published 2017
2nd for Teaching Excellence
Times Higher Education UK (TEF)
metrics ranking 2017 – Gold winner
5th UK Student City
QS Best Student Cities Index 2018
13th in Guardian University Guide 2019
of 121 UK institutions ranked
The traditional Fashion graduate, proficient in the skills of pattern cutting and manufacturing etc., needs to become a flexible, creative and global practitioner, with capabilities focused on skills acquisition and evaluation. With the advent of social media the business of marketing and PR has changed and Fashion graduates now need yet another set of skills and the course needs to reflect these changes in the Fashion industry. Fashion blogging is now an established profession, the use of social media to promote brands and events, the expansion of e-tailing and successful bricks and mortar retailers all now have an online presence, all this is opening different opportunities for graduate employment.
Graduates from this course are employed in a range of professional environments and companies as:
• Fashion Designer
• Production Coordinator
• Pattern Maker
• Fashion Illustrator
• Fashion Stylist
• Design Room Coordinator
• Product Developer
• Production Manager
• Textile Designer
• Fashion Buyer
We produce graduates who are well respected and successful in their creative careers. All our students leave as young professionals, ready for industry and the workforce. You can expect a vibrant and dynamic nurturing learning experience that will see your transformation into a world-class professional.
See more at http://raffles.edu.my/raffles-alumni/