BA (HONS) INTERIOR ARCHITECTURE AND DESIGN
- 2 STPM / 2 ‘A’ Levels Passes with a minimum CGPA 2.00 (Grade C); or
- Senior Middle 3 (UEC) with a minimum grade B in 5 subjects (including English); or
- Matriculation Program / Foundation in Design / Foundation in Art & Design with minimum CGPA 2.00; or
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with a minimum of 24 points; or
- Canadian Pre-University (CPU) with average scores of 55%; or
- South Australian Matriculation (SAM) or equivalent to Tertiary Entrance Rank (TER) of 60%;
- Other equivalent qualifications that recognized by Malaysia Government; and
- Diploma in Art and Design or any other equivalent and relevant Diploma recognized by Malaysia Government with minimum CGPA 2.00.
Pass Portfolio Review or Art Test conducted by the College for the candidate who does not have a pass in Art Subject.
IELTS 6.0; or
Credit in SPM English 1119; or
Credit in O-Level English / IGCSE
ADVANCED STANDING ENTRY
Under Malaysia Qualification Framework (MQF), students who have completed a Level 4 Diploma will receive an advanced standing credit transfer of up to 30% to the degree.
From research to 3D modelling and project management, BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design explores the human scale and relationship in the continuously changing context of spatial environments. Students learn to develop and design the right contexts and identities of these spatial environments in different areas of SMLXL, which stands not only for the scale of the environment but also for the scale of manufacturing and exclusivity. Apart from international case studies, students are exposed to Asian culture and will integrate their own identities reflecting their choice of design solutions.
To make the broadness of the course visual we introduced the axiom SMLXL. The range is from interior objects to large public spaces, small spaces such as domestic rooms to megastructure interiors such as airports. To address this variety in a way that gives clarity and precision to learning and teaching the course identifies the areas as small (S), medium (M), large (L) and extra-large (XL), giving the axiom SMLXL, which is used as a device within the course giving an overview of work in the field of interior design while identifying its different areas. At each level the student has the possibility to focus on a specific field where their strength lies. Graduates specialise in one of the SMLXL fields.
Students will be able to draw from wide source of projects in Asia, participate in competitions and collaborative projects and work in multidisciplinary teams. This will only increase their global employability and prepare them to launch their own businesses as well.
The first year introduces students to the fundamentals of interior architecture and design, covering the essential aspects of architectural and spatial design, materials, form and colour. Student will learn both 2D and 3D design skills to represent their design intentions, including drawings for design and modelling in different materials. This course considers the impact of human factors, design analysis and manufacturing.
Sustainability is a theme throughout the course; we start by examining the impact of social, environmental and commercial issues around interior design, such as responsible use of materials, acoustics, lighting, access and the possibilities presented by new technologies and future concepts.
- Interior Architecture and Design for Making
- Professional ID Studies 1
- Form and Colour for Interior Architecture and Design
- Academic Essay Writing
- Interior Architecture Design Exploration
During the second year, students are taught how to evaluate their work in relation to identified objectives, focusing on their own strengths and interests. This course will consider current issues in interior design, design history, branding and design for different market places. Industry-standard advanced 3D computing and animating of computer models is simultaneously studied and practised.
- Marketing & Branding
- 3D Modelling and Presentation
- Professional ID Studies 2
- Global Sustainability and Innovation
- Interior Architecture and Design Specialist Skills
The final year brings together students’ skills, knowledge, and the understanding to produce a professional portfolio and may include entry to a national and international level design competition. Student will also undertake a major project and exhibit in our Degree Show. Past students have designed exciting and innovative commercial projects, proposed restoration and re-use for historic buildings, redefine public spaces and proposed learning spaces of the future.
- Design Enquiry
- Professional ID studies 3
- How to set up Free-lance Business
- Introduction to Final Major Project
- Interior Architecture and Design Final Major Project
- U1: Tamadun Islam dan Tamadun Asia (TITAS) / Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2
- U1: Hubungan Etnik / Pengajian Malaysia 3
- U2: Critical Thinking
- U3: Malaysian Constitution
- U4: Community Service
ABOUT COVENTRY UNIVERSITY
1st for Overseas Student Experiences
based on student trips abroad
– HESA 2015/16 UK, published 2017
2nd for Teaching Excellence
Times Higher Education UK (TEF)
metrics ranking 2017 – Gold winner
5th UK Student City
QS Best Student Cities Index 2018
13th in Guardian University Guide 2019
of 121 UK institutions ranked
Interior designers are in demand in a wide employment sectors, including retail, domestic, commercial and entertainment. Graduates could go on to become part of a design team, work as a freelancer or establish your own design studio.
The breadth and depth of skills you learn can also lead to careers in graphic design, architectural visualisation branding, marketing, event planning or teaching.
Graduates from this course are employed in a range of professional environments and companies as:
- Facility Manager
- Commercial Interior Designer
- Institutional Interior Designer
- Residential Interior Designer
- Exhibition Designer / Event Designer
- Furniture Designer
- Product Designer
- Design Consultant
- Design Educator
We produce graduates who are well respected and successful in their creative careers. All our students leave as young professionals, ready for industry and the workforce. You can expect a vibrant and dynamic nurturing learning experience that will see your transformation into a world-class professional.
See more at http://raffles.edu.my/raffles-alumni/